The Wayland Historical Society celebrated its 50th anniversary April 25, 2004 with a galaxy of exhibits, games and speakers. Under the yellow striped tent, 1950’s treats were served at the Dessert Café. The Town’s 1953 fire truck was on display. Guests were encouraged to come in 1950’s costumes---poodle skirts, saddle shoes, “New Look” dresses.
Chairman Dick Hoyt was master of ceremonies at the program in the Raytheon Room of the Library. George K. Lewis, who had been present at the 1954
organizational meeting, spoke about the Society’s early days, while John Bryant talked about the changes in CochituateVillage.
Exhibits highlighted the pivotal year 1954 had been in the town’s history: They included: the changing face of Wayland and of Cochituate Centers,
the disappearance of farms, building the town’s schools, and the emergence of such important town institutions as the Wayland Junior Town House, the Sudbury Valley Trustees and the Town Crier.
1950’s artifacts were on display. Bulletin boards featured the house numbers, which were assigned for the first time in 1954.